Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Grandpa Pollock, one of the best men I knew

My Grandpa was 96 years old and passed away last Saturday. He was such a good person. In all my life I don't ever remember hearing him say anything bad about anybody else, no matter what they did. I wish my kids could have known him longer and could have seen what a wonderful example he was. I know he will be missed by a lot, but I know he is in a better place. He's happy, and probably working hard, just like he always did.


My grandma passed away about 13 years ago and I was living with my grandparents at the time, going to college. I remember how hard that was for my grandpa. Someone asked how long they had been married and he said 56 years. The person replied, wow that's a long time, and he said, not long enough I wanted more time. He loved her so much. I cannot remember a time when they went to bed at different times. They would always sit on the couch in the evening watching TV, my grandpa either had his arm around her or was rubbing her feet. They would go to bed at the same time and hold hands as they walked down the hallway. I remember thinking, I hope when I've been married that long my husband and I look like that. So I know he is so happy to be with her again, and I know they are together. I can't imagine how much joy he must have felt being able to see her again. I'm so happy for him, but still miss him a lot. It's hard to believe he is really gone.

He was the kind of grandpa that everyone would want. He made you feel special and would do anything for you. When I lived with him during college, after my grandma died, he would always get up and make me breakfast, then he would go to the deli and get something for lunch and dinner. He was so sweet. I remember when I was there, someone in his ward at church needed help putting on a new roof. Even though he was in his 80's, he went over and helped them get that roof on. And that's how I will always remember him, helping anyone that needed it. When Adam and I got married, we had to put up a block wall and had no clue how to do it. Grandpa came over, he was about 90 at the time, and showed us how to put up a wall. Again, when we had to tile our house, he came and showed us how to do it. He had the same home teaching companion for about 17 years, and never missed visiting a family. My mom was saying recently when he was getting really sick, that she didn't think he ever used a sick day for work. That's just how he was, always working hard and helping others.

He was just an all around good person. He was such a good example of a Christlike person. I'm so grateful for him and all he did for us, we will really miss him a lot!



I love this picture




Ethan and Grandpa, the kids all called him great papa
I love this picture of grandpa and EthanGrandpa and MaliaGrandpa and Ava
At Malia's 1st birthday
Just relaxing
Christmas 2007
His Birthday a few years ago, I think it was his 93rd.



95th Birthday

My sister's family and grandpa
At the mountains this past summer.
Our first annual Family Talent Show last year.

His last birthday, 96 years old!
Samuel Webster Pollock
October 25, 1914 - February 12, 2011
He will be missed, we love you Great Papa! I would say Rest In Peace, but I know he's not really resting, he's working hard up there!!

14 comments:

Franklin Family said...

Oh Sam - death is so hard. It's hard on your emotions because you miss him, but know he's happy. And yes, probably working very hard. I am sorry for your loss, and love this tribute to him. What a legacy he left behind!

Jenn and Kylann said...

I'm so sorry. That's got to be so hard. Especially since you seemed so close to him. Wish I was close to my grandparents like that. He seemed like he was a pretty amazing man. 96 years? Wow!

Ami said...

Sam, I'm so sorry to hear that he passed away! You memorialized him well though! You made ME want to know him! Glad you have so many memories! Thanks for that sweet tribute to your grandpa!

McCrazys said...

So sorry for your loss. This is such a sweet tribute. You were lucky to have such a great Grandfather. *Wiping away my tears*

Heather said...

Such a sweet tribute to your Grandpa! So nice to have the knowledge of the gospel at times like this. Till you meet again...

Jackson Family said...

Sam I am so sorry for your loss. What great memories and stories you have of him.

Jill said...

Oh Sam, I am sorry to hear of his passing. I remember those days when you lived with him, how lucky you were! Such sweet words on this post. :)

Carrie said...

Sam, so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I always remember him being SO sweet and kind! What a wonderful tribute to him!

Chase and Kortney Crowley said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Sam! I know it is hard on you. He sure does sound like an amazing man. I hope one day Chase and I can be like your grandparents. I am sure they are so happy to be together again. What a glorious reunion. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am bawling my eyes out. He is such a wonderful person. What a tribute to him, such a loving husband, father, grandfather and son. Can you imagine the joyous reunion in heaven with his parents, siblings and precious wife? What a good man! I'd like to live next door to someone like that in the eternities. love, Missouri Mom/Grandma

Cameron said...

Sam, I am so sorry about your grandpa's passing. I can only imagine how thrilled he is to be with the love of his life again. Know it is still so hard on your guys. We're thinking about ya and miss you guys a lot.

The Epps Fam said...

Samantha, I am sorry to hear that he passed away, but thank you for sharing such a sweet tribute to him. I never really got to know him, but I always admired his genuine kindness and love that he showed to everyone around him. He always had a smile on his face. What a blessing to have such a wonderful grandfather!

manda carol said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I had the opportunity to live across the street from your grandparents for the first 8 years of my life. They were truly nice people. Reading your tribute brought tears to my eyes.

Darin and Elaina said...

That was such a sweet post Sam. I know I am late in seeing this but it was so neat to read. What a wonderful example he is to all of your family and to everyone who reads this. Really special.